tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 13:01:00 1995

-vaD vs. -Daq on pronouns

I am attempting to translate into Klingon:

I have to put a splint on her broken arm.

DeSDaj Hom ghorlu'bogh 'oHvaD vIHgho'naQ vIlannIS

'oHvaD feels good (TKD Sec 6.8, p180), but I have pondered the question of
the allowability of affixing -Daq to Nominative Pronouns, resulting in 'oHDaq
for *on it*

In another member's message I read of the difficulty with -bogh.  At this
point, my feelings tell me to try using constructions such as
puq qIppu'bogh yaSvaD Hergh vInob for *I give the medicine to the **officer**
who hit the child* wherein the officer is deduced by feeling to be the
recipient and using puq'e' qIppu'bogh yaSvaD Hergh vInob for *I give the
medicine to the child (now emphasized by -'e') whom the officer hit*

Obviously wrong must be yaS'e'vaD because each -'e' and 'vaD is a Type 4
suffix; and, only one suffix of one type may be attached to one noun :)

Back to archive top level