tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 30 08:05:48 1995

Re: -vaD vs. -Daq on pronouns

>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:19:28 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>I am attempting to translate into Klingon:

>I have to put a splint on her broken arm.

>DeSDaj Hom ghorlu'bogh 'oHvaD vIHgho'naQ vIlannIS

>'oHvaD feels good (TKD Sec 6.8, p180), but I have pondered the question of
>the allowability of affixing -Daq to Nominative Pronouns, resulting in 'oHDaq
>for *on it*

The question of head-nouns other than subject or object has been asked
forever, and I simply can't answer it, and I think we're going to have to
leave it at that for now.

As to -Daq and -vaD on pronouns, we have canon evidence that it is
permissible.  Okrand in the tapes says "DaH jIHvaD yIngev" and "SoHvo' vay'
vIje' vIneH".

~mark

Back to archive top level