tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 26 13:06:06 1995

Re[6]: }}} Victory Song / battle cry

On Wed July 26 "Mark E. Shoulson" wrote:

>"Once many ideas are out there," you say.  Excellent!  So the idea was put
>out there for a translation, and I put out my opinions/ideas on its
>quality.  If the only "ideas" that are allowed "out there" are ones that
>say "Yes!  Your idea is magnificent!" no matter what was said, then what
>sort of debate can be had?  Debate is a discussion of the merits of
>various notions, you say.  Well, I was discussing the merits of that
>particular phrase, pointing out in particular that certain merits are
>lacking.  I don't think I was "destroying" any ideas (how could I?  Ideas
>are very hardy things); I was simply putting other ideas on the table to
>discuss. And I might add, I was doing so because I was *ASKED* to.  When
>someone puts an idea out on the list, that's asking for opinions.  For
>ideas from other people.  Should I get your approval for all my ideas and
>opinions in the future?  Now who's destroying ideas?

Almost everytime I try to suggest something, it gets shot down.  This is very
frustrating and down-right depressing.  All I seem to get is criticism.  I
thought the purpose of this list was to encourage the use of tlhIngan Hol.  Now,
I know I'll make grammar mistakes.  And I do want help with that.  But this was
a different case.

One person asked for suggestions.  I was replying to him.  I posted my
suggestion to the list as a catalyst to others, also suggesting different ideas.
 If you do not understand what I was trying to say, ASK!  Please do not jump to
conclusions, and then critise based on those.  Simply say, "I don't like this,
and this is why..."  Don't tell me I'm wrong.

No, I do not want to give, nor can I give, approval for others' ideas &
opinions.  Each opinion is valid.  I'd like to see more.  But with my
experience, I can see why there aren't more.  And that is not <maj>.

>~mark

r'Hul

Back to archive top level