tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 27 08:19:15 1995

RE: "English"

Has anyone considerd the perhaps too sensible solution: "'englIS"?

After all, that's the name of the language, and I think it makes sense
that there are certain things that won't translate. A targh is still a targh
even if we were to try calling it a Klingon warthog. We can call English
"teragnan Hol" to convey "Terran language" only if the adopt a mololithic
view of terran cultures similar to ST's pervasive view of non-terran
cultures: one people, one language, period.

Another point here is to consider whether we're asking the right question.
I think that question ought to be "What do Klingons call the lingua franca
of Federation personnel?"

...'ej vaj tlhetlh
Roger Sorensen                                 "...and so it goes."
St. John's University Computing Services         -- Linda Ellerbee
Collegeville MN 56321-2000

[email protected]      v:612-363-2035     f:612-363-2761