tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 21:09:26 1995

Re: RE: "English"

naQ'avwI'vo':

>yeah, dialects... if you refer to English as >tera'ngan Hol< and Japanese
>as >tera'ngan Hol< and Swahili as >tera'ngan Hol<, then they *must* be
>different dialects of >tera'ngan Hol<, qar'a'?  *grin*  said in jest, of
>course.

This may be in jest, but it doesn't make sense.  These are different
languages,
not different dialects.  A dialect is a variation on one language, such as
British
English and Standard American English.  You expect to find some differences
in
vocabulary and pronunciation.  I'd suggest that tlhIngan Hol and Klingonaas
(or
whatever the other "language" is we're talking about), is a different
language
altogether.  I'd be very surprised if the Homeworld *didn't* have many, many
different languages.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level