tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 16 06:22:10 1995

Re: KLBC How is this?

According to achghuQ the Klingon Warrior:

> >According to charghwI'
> >>According to achghuQ the Klingon Warrior:
>
> >> 		muleSpu' lom.
> >
> >>"The corpse has relaxed me."?
> 	HIvqa' veqlargh. I meant to say  leSpu' lom. Oops...

Is this to say that rigor mortis is not actively occuring? The
corpse has completed the function of relaxing, which sort of
implies that the corpse is no longer relaxed. Maybe you just
want to say, {leS lom.} Maybe you want {leSchoHpu' lom.} The
corpse has finished changing to a relaxed state.

> >>                 muleghpu' 'oH.
>
> >"It has seen me."
>
>          What I wanted was something closer to 'It was looking at me'.  I
> thought about nej but I don't think that's what I want. Do you have any
> suggestions?

Okay, first thing is that the "was" is taken care of by
context. You don't want to use aspect instead of tense. You may
want {muleghlI' 'oH}, if you want to imply that the corpse was
in the continuous state of seeing you, but there would be a
definite end to that condition. I also suspect {nej} would be a
better verb, since it implies more a sense of eyes pointing at
you than it does that perception is happening, while {legh}
implies more that perception is happening.

>          I just thought of another question, how can I say "I should do
> something"?

There is no specific construction for this. Linguists call it
the "irrealis" (I think) and Klingon does not have it.
Meanwhile, you can express this sort of thing easily enough:

batlh vIghajchugh vaj jI[verb]nIS.

> 				Qapla'
>
> 			          achghuQ

charghwI'