tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 16 07:38:51 1995

Re: KLBC How is this?

>Is this to say that rigor mortis is not actively occuring? The
>corpse has completed the function of relaxing, which sort of
>implies that the corpse is no longer relaxed. Maybe you just
>want to say, {leS lom.} Maybe you want {leSchoHpu' lom.} The
>corpse has finished changing to a relaxed state.

What I meant to say is something like "The corpse was relaxing." I think quSDaq
leStaH lom is closer to what I had in mind.

>> >"It has seen me."
>>
>>          What I wanted was something closer to 'It was looking at me'.  I
>> thought about nej but I don't think that's what I want. Do you have any
>> suggestions?

>Okay, first thing is that the "was" is taken care of by
>context. You don't want to use aspect instead of tense. You may
>want {muleghlI' 'oH}, if you want to imply that the corpse was
>in the continuous state of seeing you, but there would be a
>definite end to that condition. I also suspect {nej} would be a
>better verb, since it implies more a sense of eyes pointing at
>you than it does that perception is happening, while {legh}
>implies more that perception is happening.

   But isn't nej 'looking for, searching'? What do you think of HaD or tu'? I
think mutu'lI' 'oH or muHaDlI' 'oH  are maybe closer to what I want.

>There is no specific construction for this. Linguists call it
>the "irrealis" (I think) and Klingon does not have it.
>Meanwhile, you can express this sort of thing easily enough:

>batlh vIghajchugh vaj jI[verb]nIS.

   Thank you, this will be very helpful.

				Qapla'

                                    achghuQ