tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 01 12:08:47 1995

Re: vay' and lu'

>Subject: Re: vay' and lu'
>Date: 95-01-01 10:40:56 EST
>From: [email protected] (William H. Martin)

>You and others have come up with plenty of examples that hardly
>deserve to be belittled to this extent. "You are afraid to be
>killed," vs. "Anybody is afraid to kill you," could be as
>simple as {DaHoHvIplu'} vs. {DuHoHvIp vay'}, or the former
>would be quite difficult to express at all, if this is not
>Okrand's wish for use of {-lu'}. "Someone is ready to teach
>you," vs. "You are ready to be taught," could be {DughojrupmoH
>vay'} vs. {DaghojrupmoHlu'}. This is hardly a "tiny semantic
>expansion that you may never have a chance to use."
>..
[...]

>While I often think this is the case, I think this particular
>argument is over a meaningful void in clarity in TKD. I think
>we would all be better off if it were resolved by Okrand.

Incidentally, you're probably right about this usage. It is a bit more
common. Altho, I still don't think it has all that much potential to screw us
over, since there's not so much of a gap between the duel meanings. I think
of {-lu'} as indicating unspecified subject, resulting in no other semantic
discrepancies, such as transferal of volition. This is not meant to convince
you anymore, but just to show where we diverge and that essentially nothing
more can be done about it. maghoH rIntaH. mapIm.

>> What I would really like to see is so much more of our using tlhIngan Hol
in
>> its raw form here on the list. Why don't we? Do we not have something to
talk
>> about? Are we too lazy? I dunno.

>Well, I believe that I started doing that a few weeks ago when
>you got into these long English arguments about Klingon
>grammar...

>yIbepQo' neH. yIjatlh! tlhIngan Hol yIlo'qu'!

baQa', ghobe'. ghoHbogh mu'maj taghta' 'Iv? net SovlaHbe' jay'. vIDpu' 'Iv:
SoH jIH ghap? HIpumQo', qoj jIbepbe'. 'a Su', HIjatlhqu'. tlhIngan Hol yIlo'
je.

ghuy'Do

ghItlh'o': DaHjaj, wa'leS, cha'leS joq DuSaQ Qu'vaD jIngoy'nISmo' jIlabbe'.
va chaq qay' 'a Do' tugh jIchegh.

pItlh

Back to archive top level