tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 20:11:23 1995

Re: NEED A RULEING....

Sun, 24 Dec 1995 ghItlh peHruS:

> >>Keep in mind <vaj> is not a temporal "then" . <vaj>  best translates as
> >>"therefore" or "thus".

> >I have asked before how we would say "thence."  It was yoDtargh or ~mark who
> >replied that {vaj} is still the answer.  Unfortunately, I cannot give the
> >reference as it was at least six months ago.  I simply remember asking and
> >getting an answer.
> >
> >peHruS
>
> I want to add here that I often use {-mo'} when translating "since," when it
> means "thus, therefore."  After {-mo'} I still consider {vaj} optional.
>
> I very often use {vaj} after {-chugh}, not always.

I often translate {vaj} as meaning something along the line of "in view
of the foregoing", "consequently", "subsequently" or "accordingly".  It is,
as you suggest, optional, and it's purpose is to emphasize that one action
is a necessary or consequent result of another.

maghwI' ghaHmo' muHlu'ta'. (Because she was a traitor, she was executed.)
maghwI' ghaHmo' vaj muHlu'ta'.  (Because she was a traitor, she was
therefore executed;  Because she was a traitor, she consequently was
executed.)

bIjeghbe'chugh bIHegh.  (If you do not surrender, you will die.)
bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.  (If you do not surrender, then you will
subsequently die.)

> peHruS

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level