tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 19:33:30 1995

Re:qaqIHneS! (many replies)

On Sun, 24 Dec 1995, Jarno Peschier wrote:

> At 02:51 18-12-95 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >"tuHoHbe'" = "you do not kill me". Hm. I didn't want to say that.
> >"HIHoHQo'", the imperative/request is more like it. But what if I wanted
> >to be polite, and not issue an order?
>
> Klingons don't do politeness. Simply make it an imperative (an order). If
> you want, you can add the -neS suffix if talking to someone that is more
> important than you. Or say something else altogether, like "I don't you to
> kill me" or "I ask you not to kill me".

Actually, the verb suffix {-neS} is used to express extreme politeness or
deferrence and you can use it with imperative prefixes, e.g. {HIja'neS}
(Do me the honor of telling me.) (Sec. 4.2.8.)  So if you wanted to be
polite, you can say {HIHoHneSQo'}.

> peSHIr

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level