tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 13:32:35 1995

Re: After Doing vs. When Done

According to David Wood:

> David Barron wrote:
>
> > I need a ruleing on how to say "after".
>
>      Well, you're not getting it from me -- I only give suggestions.
>      jIghItlh wIvoqbe' Hoch jIh je.

Let's try that again:
ghItlhwIj wIvoqbe' Hoch jIH je.

>      The phrase "After we eat" would be rendered (or is that rent>) into
> <maSoppu'DI'>, which translate back as "When we finish
> eating."...

More precisely, it means, "When we have eaten...", though that
is pretty much the same as "When we have finished eating."

>      Now the downside: it's unambiguous. Consider the phrase:
>      mavempu'DI' nIQ maSop
>      or "After we awaken, we eat breakfast." -DI' also means "as soon as," so
> this phrasing implies that the breakfast takes place immediately after they wake
> up. You'd need a future tense on the main verb ...but Klingon doesn't have a
> future tense, so maybe one so-called design flaw compensates for another.

I don't really see an ambiguity here. The state of completion
has been achieved of awakening and the action of eating
happens. Even if one takes the "as soon as" meaning, this time
stamp points to any time which satisfies the state that
awakeness is complete. It does not have to be the first instant
that awakeness is complete. It can be ANY instant when
awakeness is complete.

This means that the time stamp we are creating is to a zone of
time following awakeness, not to a point in time. It sets the
sequence, which is our point here.

> HIgh jaj QaQ 'oH. (<-- Pending gramattical corrections, natch!)

I would not know where to begin. {High} is a verb. We have two
complete sentences mashed together:

The day fights dirty it is good.

Keep at it, though. reH maDub.

> -- David Wood, Freelance Computer Consultant
> ("Freelance" is just a cheesy way of saying "Irregularly Employed")

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \