tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 20 10:57:03 1995

Re: First Appearance of Klingons

[email protected] (MR PAUL J COFFEY) writes:
\ >You may also be interested that in an early episode of TOS Klingon was
\ >pronounced "Cling-gin".
\     Do you remember which episode?  I remember it not, but do not deny the
\     possiblity.
Well, in "The Trouble with Tribbles" (Which, appearing as it did in the
latter half of the second season, I would not call an "early" episode),
the trader Cyrano Jones pronounced Klingon as /'kling @n/ (where the @
is the unaccented "schwa" sound found as the 'a' in "about", "e" in
"taken", etc).  But the regular cast  pronounced it the same way it sounds in
the rest of the episodes, movies, etc: /'kling an/, with the distinct "ah"
sound in the final syllable (sometimes, depending on the speaker, tending
toward the "aw" sound usually represented by an 'o' with a circumflex
("housetop")).

-marqoS, who should go look up the official ASCII version of the IPA to
avoid this awkwardness in future discussions of pronunciation

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level