tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 18 10:09:48 1995

Re: KLBC: Win 95 "Klingon-ized"

>Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 11:26:21 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>>Okay, this blows my complaint out of the water.  The sentence
>>{Qo'noSDaq qagh Sop SuvwI' Hoch} indeed is ambiguous; both of
>>the interpretations are grammatical.  "All warriors eat worms
>>on Kronos" and "On Kronos, all warriors eat worms" both work.
>>
>>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
>>

>I reiterate that have available the Noun Suffix Type 5 {-'e'}, "topicalizer"
>to specify Objects as well as Subjects.  If we must specify that the worms
>are what are on Kronos, try {Qo'noSDaq qagh'e' Sop SuvwI' Hoch}.

I have no clue why the topicalizer should work as you claim it to.  You
have topicalized the "qagh", so it could well mean:

"As for the qagh, all the warriors eat it/them on Qo'noS."

with no change in the ambiguity.  I have seen no evidence that using "-'e'"
somehow magically contracts the scope of a preceding "-Daq".  -'e' is a
focus marker (I know it's called a topic marker, but Okrand has told us he
meant it was a focus marker).  It's not a scope-reducer, so far as we know.

~mark

Back to archive top level