tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 20:04:58 1995

Re: KLBC: Win 95 "Klingon-ized"

peHruS writes:
>I reiterate that have available the Noun Suffix Type 5 {-'e'}, "topicalizer"
>to specify Objects as well as Subjects.  If we must specify that the worms
>are what are on Kronos, try {Qo'noSDaq qagh'e' Sop SuvwI' Hoch}.

I don't accept this.  Okrand consistently translates {-'e'} using something
like "As for the serpent worms, all warriors eat it on Kronos".

>Next subject:  Can I infer that {qagh} is inherently plural?

I was being uncharacteristically sloppy when I wrote the translation.
{qagh} doesn't simply mean "worms," it refers to the foodstuff "serpent
worms."  It's probably exactly as inherently plural as "beans" is.  In
the TNG episode "A Matter of Honor," we hear "Isn't that /gagh/?" and NOT
"Aren't those /gagh/?"  I'd have to say it IS inherently plural, which of
course then means that the sentence should properly be written as
{Qo'noSDaq qagh luSop SuvwI' Hoch}, using the verb prefix {lu-}.