tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 18 09:32:04 1995

Re: pongmemwIj yIleghqa'

>> On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Ben Warren wrote:
> > I would be very interested in hearing how others chose their
> > names.

I think I put less emphasis on Klingon names than most people here
(certainly it was one of the last things I thought of when I was making a
presence on the list, not the first.  I didn't take one until I'd been here
for a long time and I still don't use it much).  I think worrying about the
name tends to distract one from the rest of the language, but that's me.

Here's how my name (Seqram) came about:  There were (and still are) several
"Mark"s on the list.  One of them is Mark Mandel (Hi, Mark!), who started
calling himself "marqem", presumably from "Mark M." respelling in Klingon.
Thought I, "that's pretty cool."  So I did the same with my name:
Mark S. -> marqeS.  And then not to look TOO much like a copycat I spelled
it backwards: Seqram.  I liked the way it sounded and looked, and it means
either "seismic fault of the night" or "trivial seismic fault"... the
meaning isn't important, but at least it doesn't mean "boneheaded moron."
So it works...

~mark

Back to archive top level