tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 21:20:03 1995

Re: KLBC: starting right back at the beginning :)

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ghItlh vanya:
> >...jIHaDtaH jIQongtaHvIS 'e' vIghojnIS.
>
> jang yoDtargh:
> >Since {jIHaDtaH} is the object |of {'e' vIghojnIS}, I would put them
> >together and place {jIQongtaHvIS} somewhere else like at the end of the
> >sentence:  jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS jIQongtaHvIS.
>
> yoDtargh has rearranged the words to more unambiguously say what the
> original sentence said, but I'm pretty sure that's not what vanya was
> trying to say.  As it is, it means approximately "While I am sleeping,
> I need to learn that I am studying."  I think the intent is more like
> "I need to learn how to study while sleeping."

I was trying to say, "I need to learn to study while sleeping."
But if you don't like this way of saying it, another way to say it is:
jIQongtaHvIS jIHaDtaHmeH laH vIghojnIS.

> The dictionary doesn't
> tell us how to use words like "how" except in a question; some of us
> extend the sentence-as-object construction to try to deal with this.
> I would say {jIQongtaHvIS chay' jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS} "How do I study
> while I am sleeping?  I need to learn that."

Since you didn't separate the two sentences with periods, I read this as
a single question meaning, "How do I need to learn to study while
sleeping?" and your sentence contains the same {jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS},
which may be somewhat awkward as you pointed out.

I don't think {chay'} or other question words can be used as conjunctions
the way they are used English.  Sec.6.4 says that words such as {chay'}
(how), {nuqDaq} (where), & {'Iv} (who) are used for asking questions.
Although many people on this list use Klingon question words this way, my
belief is that this usage is incorrect.  There is nothing in TKD or
elsewhere which would suggest that these words can double as conjunctions.

I belive it is wrong to use Klingon question words to translate sentences
like:
She knows HOW to repair the engine.
I know HOW to get to the Great Hall.
I don't know WHO that officer is.
We don't know WHERE the enemy's base is.
I know WHERE he was buried.

I would use nouns instead to fulfill that role:

jonta' tI'meH mIw Sov.  (In order to fix the engine, she knows the
			procedure.)
vaS'a' ghoSlu'meH He vISov.  (In order for one to go towards the Great Hall,
			     I know the route.)
yaSvetlh pong vISovbe'.  (I don't know the name of that officer.)
jagh waw' Daq wISovbe'.  (We don't know the location of the enemy's base.)
ghaH mollu'pu'. Daq vISov.  (He was buried.  I know the location.)

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level