tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 00:26:57 1995

{-meH} and {Sov} (was Re: KLBC: starting right back...)

> jonta' tI'meH mIw Sov.  (In order to fix the engine, she knows the
> 			procedure.)
> vaS'a' ghoSlu'meH He vISov.  (In order for one to go towards the Great Hall,
> 			     I know the route.)

I wonder. Do these really make sense to you? To me,
knowing is a state that's no purpose. I either know
something or I don't. Me LEARNING that particular
fact may have had a purpose, though.

On the other hand, the first one may be (according
to 6.2.4.) "She knows (the procedure to fix the engine)."
(the second correspondingly). I've never been very
comfortable with this usage of {-meH}. In order to
construct the meanings yoDtargh has given above, and
which I questioned, would one use sth. like
{mIw jonta' tI'meH Sov}?

				HomDoq

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany