tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 04:53:06 1995

Re: KLBC: starting right back at the beginning :)

ghItlh vanya:
>...jIHaDtaH jIQongtaHvIS 'e' vIghojnIS.

jang yoDtargh:
>Since {jIHaDtaH} is the object |of {'e' vIghojnIS}, I would put them
>together and place {jIQongtaHvIS} somewhere else like at the end of the
>sentence:  jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS jIQongtaHvIS.

yoDtargh has rearranged the words to more unambiguously say what the
original sentence said, but I'm pretty sure that's not what vanya was
trying to say.  As it is, it means approximately "While I am sleeping,
I need to learn that I am studying."  I think the intent is more like
"I need to learn how to study while sleeping."  The dictionary doesn't
tell us how to use words like "how" except in a question; some of us
extend the sentence-as-object construction to try to deal with this.
I would say {jIQongtaHvIS chay' jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS} "How do I study
while I am sleeping?  I need to learn that."