tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 10:09:09 1995

Re: Some thoughts....

>Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:11:40 -0800
>From: david barron <[email protected]>

>I was pondering a phrase that came to mind.

>"The Blackened Heart" (Hmmm....perhaps a future book title).

>and thinking of a good translation for it.

>I wanted a critique on <tIq qIj> versus <qIjmoHlu'bogh tIq>.

>My impression is that the second does more justice to
>the title.

Probably, but it's less pithy.  It's also wrong word-order-wise.  "-lu'"
says that the subject of the clause is unspecified.  The "heart" is the
thing which is made black by something.  It's the OBJECT of "qIjmoH",
right?  So it has to come BEFORE the verb, as all objects precede their
verbs:

tIq qIjmoHlu'bogh

~mark

Back to archive top level