tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 05:59:34 1995

KLBC - hello and questions

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!aol.com!WestphalWz
 uu> Subject: KLBC - hello and questions

 uu> I am the person who has argued about the meaning of {tlhuch}.  This is
 uu> the first usage or comment I have seen on this listserv since I wrote
 uu> that I feel that {tlhuch} translates as "exhaust something/resources."
 uu> One coment came back that {lojmoH} shoud mean "exhaust/use up (vt)."
 uu> Then, should {loj} replace {tlhuch} above.  Has KLI decided whether
 uu> {tlhuch} means "emit exhaust" or "exhaust something"?

I have always taken {tlhuch} to mean "exhaust, use up, deplete".  We have
{taQbang} for the noun "exhaust" (ie, what comes out of the tailpipe of your
car).  {lojmoH} would mean "cause to be all gone" or "exhaust"; {loj} is "be
all gone" and would be used intransitively or as an adjective.  "Our fuel is
exhausted" would be {loj nInmaj}; "We have exhausted our fuel" would be
{nInmaj wIlojmoHpu'} or {nInmaj wItlhuchpu'}.

| la'Hom Qob vestai-qutvaj, yaS cha'DIch qumpIn je, tlh.w.D. quttaj |
| jogh boQDu''a', *North jogh, maS Hurgh yo', Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom |
|                tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu' yej ghojwI'                 |
|               [email protected]                 |