tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 09 10:06:37 1995

Re: Translation request (clich'e)

> >vavoylIj jeylaHbej qu'nutlh
> >Roughly: Your pappy could whup Knuth's butt.	(Don't ask)
>
> Looks like the sentence word order is backwards on this one.
>
> Try {qu'nutlh jeylaHbej vavlIj} and leave out the term of endearment.

	True; I also like the suggestion of qu', as in

	qu'nutlh jeyqu'laHbej vavoylI'

	The "-oy" was purposely used, as the intent was, specifically, "pappy".

The context, if'n y'all are curious (excuse the digression, but it has some
mild linguistic value), was a debate over the existence of the word (as opposed
to the prefix) "TEX" as claimed by qu'nutlh in the preface to /The TeXBook/.
I'll post the excerpt the next time I get my hands on a copy.  To make a long
story short, one of my undergraduate friends, whose father is a classics prof,
claims that "Tau Epsilon Chi" is an ill-formed title, for esoteric reasons that
I'm not qualified to relate.  The question, as it was posed to me, was: "So,
what do you think of my pappy's debunking of Knuth's abuse of Greek?", to which
I answered as above.

	In any case, since we're on the subject, should LaTeX be pronounced:

1. leyteq / lateq?
2. leyteH / lateH?  (I seem to recall that this is what qu'nutlh prescribes)
3. leyteQ / lateQ?

	Any how would you translate "computer typesetting"?

Back to archive top level