tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 19:34:58 1995

Re: Colors? What colors?

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> [SuD Hurgh, SuD wov, etc]
>
> Bill.Willmerdinger writes:
> >I've thought about this before, but hesitated.  Can you use a verb to
> >modify another verb?  You'd need something adverbial, wouldn't you?  "It
> >is green very darkly" or "It greens very darkly."  Or am I missing
> >something?
>
> I guess I was considering these in their adjectival role, following the
> noun, with each verb acting to modify the previous noun phrase.  So
> {nav SuD wov} would be a "bright, blue/green/yellow paper" and not a
> "bright blue/green/yellow paper".  Is my distinction clear?  I don't
> want "bright" to modify just "blue/green/yellow", I want it to modify
> "blue/green/yellow paper".

I haven't seen a canon example of multiple adjectival verbs modifying the
same noun.  But I think another way to refer to "bright,
blue/green/yellow paper" would be {wovbogh nav SuD}.  I think it's less
ambiguous and more grammatical.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level