tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 04 03:41:35 1995

Re: hello.

At 21:29 2-12-95 -0800, you wrote:

>> If you want to improve your Klingon skills, then you've come to the right
>> place.  My name is yoDtargh and I'm the Beginners' Grammarian.  I'm here
>> to assist you with any basic grammatical questions you may have about
>> the language.  The best way to improve your Klingon is to simply keep
>> practicing writing in Klingon and practice reading the Klingon posts others
>> write on the list.
>
>Believe me, I've tried. So far, everything on here that's written in
>Klingon made me say "What the...?", but then again, I guess that's pretty
>much standard for people with my level of "knowledge" in the language.

I had the same problem. I wrote a program to interpret Klingon words for me
(well, so of: it's *not* 100% full proof) and I started myself by typing
Klingon I found on this list into that program to get the meanings.

Most people will probably say that this is "bad" (because you are prone to
get used to this and will end up using the program forever without actually
learning the language), but I think it's just how you use such a tool.

By now I'm that far that I try to translate the words (or even whole
phrases, but that's not going that well yet ;-)) and then still typing them
in to check (except for the obvious ones like ghItlhwIj, DaH, ach', vaj, etc
that get used here rather often). I think this works fine.

Apart from that I also try to get my expertise in writing Klingon up as
well, be posting little pieces of Klingon from time to time (I should do it
more often, actually) and even replying to "How do I say this in Klingon?"
questions.

And since I got the two tapes about two weeks ago, I'm also trying to really
pronounce the stuff right.

The best way is trying, failing and learning from that...

>About the only things I know are how to say "I don't speak Klingon" and
>to ask where the bathroom is. :-)

bInIDqu'choHDI' choH ghu'vam. HIHarlaH...

>Then I looked
>up logic. What the...? There's no word for *logic*? How do they expect
>you to do a translation of Star Trek fiction, and yet *not* have
>something that Spock says every other word?

Just because Spock, or Vulcans for that matter, uses that word a lot, this
does not mean that Klingon should have a word for it. Maybe they don't have
a word for it (after all; they're Klingons, not Vulcans). Or maybe the word
exists, but it's just not in TKD. Didn't you read the Introduction part of
TKD...? Maybe the word for logic is simply not known yet, even though it exists.

>So, any ideas? Someone in alt.startrek.klingon
>suggested something which translated as "proven", but that doesn't really
>fit. After all, logic is what tells us that the world is flat, but it's
>been proven otherwise.

Logic tells you that the world is flat? Nice logic you have... <grin>

>Something else I just found out today is a
>complete lack of a word for Stardate, which, IMHO, is even more
>unforgiveable than a lack of a word for logic. D'OH!

Someone on this list uses Hovjaj for stardate, and I think it really gets
the meaning acros quite well. According to TKD you're allowed to "make"
compound nouns by putting two nouns together. Another example is HolQeD. You
won't find it in TKD's vocabulary, but it translates to "the science of
language" or something (Hol=language, QeD=science).

>Start saying those replacement proverbs now, Marc.

Why would he do that?! He's done a tremendous job and you start criticising
him about it...?

>Completely unrelated to Star Trek: how
>would I translate "big ugly pink thing" into Klingon?

Maybe something like: Doch tin moH Doq

I'm not sure what to do with multiple adjectives. Maybe the above is not
correct in that respect. And of course Doq does not mean "be pink", but "be
red/orange". Maybe "light red" will do, but -even though possible names of
colors were discussed here recently, also including "light [color]" where
[color] is color name that does exist in Klingon- I can't remember how
exactly to say this.

What are trying to describe here? Maybe you'd better of describing it
differently in Klingon. If you simply meen an ugly (naked?) human, may not
simply calling it tera'ngan moH be easier, and more "Klingon-like"?

>Thanks! Any info anyone could give me on the above words or phrases would
>be greatly appreciated. Until next time, QuvlijDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj!

I hope the above helps you at least a bit? And of course I suspect you'll be
getting more replies on this...

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level