tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 27 23:24:25 1994

Re: A thesis on tlhIngan!?

On Wed 28 Sep 94 13:39, Nick NICHOLAS writes:

> thing after all.  I know a lot of people in my uni are under the
> impression that I'm doing my thesis on Klingon, and it's not
> beyond the bounds of reason that I'm the origin of this rumour;
> but my first supposition would be that it has an American
> origin. Could you provide more information?

I found a quote from the source message.  Someone said that
"there's a group of folks working on a PHd dissertation up in
Wisconsin who are actually translating the King James Bible into
Klingon", and they also said that it is the PhD dissertation project
for the person running the group.  So actually, it does sound
more like misinformation concerning Glen P.. Or is he really
doing that?  Or is it possible that there is yet another group
working on translating the Bible??

> The thing about artificial languages in linguistics is that they
> don't evolve like natural languages do --- which is why burgh is
> unlikely to catch on as 'inside', and there's a whole article
> just in *that* (artifical languages have much more in common
> with written languages like Mediaeval Latin or  Sanskrit);
> they're used in really strange sociolinguistic circumstances;
> and  they don't give you much data. Many linguists would not
> consider them valid  subjects of linguistic inquiry, which is
> why I'll have an uphill battle  getting anything published (and
> why I'll have to go stats-crazy).

You may have to first convince them that Klingon is a valid
artificial language because there are some who refuse to accept
it as such.

Amy

Back to archive top level