tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 28 10:19:09 1994

Re: Pronunciation (Was: Re: KLBC: jItagh)

On Wed, 28 Sep 1994, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

> There are several places of articulation --- that is, where in the mouth the
> constriction is, which is where the sound is being made:

> Alveolar: s, z, t, d.

The Klingon D is a little different though.  However, the description in TKD
seems awfully vague to me.  "Halfway between the teeth and the velum" covers
a large area.  Do you think he meant halfway between the alveolar ridge and
the velum?  Is "D" what they call a "retroflex" stop?

Also, how would you classify "tlh"?  Would that be a voiceless
lateral affricative?

> Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level