tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 25 11:35:37 1994

Re: KLBC: A suggestion for 'inside'

According to George Aaron Broadwell:

> Some recent posts have pointed out the lack of an obvious word for 'inside'
> in thlIgan Hol...
> In most American Indian and West African languages that I've
> seen there is the same use of nouns to express prepositional concepts.  In
> languages like Zapotec and Yoruba, these nouns often coincide with names of
> body parts, so that "inside the house" is said as "at the belly of the house".
>
> Now, we happen to have a convenient word for "belly" in thlIngan Hol,  chor.
>  So I suggest that we might express a phrase like "inside the garbage scow" as
>
> veQDuj chorDaq
>
> [Analysis: veQ-Duj               chor-Daq
>                   garbage-ship        belly-locative (5)]
>

> What do others think?

While this is perhaps quite interesting to others than KLBC, I
personally find it quite interesting. It is one of those things
that could have been said in Klingon with no explanation and
everybody would have understood it quite well, which form me
appears to be a rather nice litmus test. I support it unless
someone has a better idea, or an objection that I cannot
currently foresee.

charghwI'
> "Unless one is a genius, it is best to aim at being intelligible" -- Anthony
> Hope

YANS - Yet Another Nice Sig.

Back to archive top level