tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 25 11:35:37 1994

Re: KLBC: A Lurker Introduces

Welcome, Pierre Van Dyk! Excellent first post! As Beginners'
Grammarian, it's my job to help tighten up the loose ends, so
please do not take this as a negative criticism. Overall, you
did remarkably well.

According to Pierre Van Dyk:

> nuqneH
>
> tlhIngan mu'ghom viHevpu' 'ej jilIH'eghrup.

In your English translation, you said, "I CAN introduce
myself." {jIlIH'eghrup} actually means, "I AM READY to
introduce myself," which is an even more sensible statement. As
you probably know, {jIlIH'eghlaH} would have matched your
English more exactly.

> Pierre van DykjIH (nagh tIn mugh!).

I presume that combining Dyk and jIH is a typo. Meanwhile,
you've done one of those things we can't quite justify
grammatically within your parenthesis. {mugh} means
"translate". It does not mean, "translate TO". What you want is
"A" means "B" and we argue a lot about this on this list.
Several of us think we have an acceptable solution.
Unfortunately, we do not all agree on the SAME solution. I'll
offer a couple:

"Pierre van Dyk" nagh tIn je rap.

"Pierre van Dyk" mughlu'chugh vaj nagh tIn tu'lu'.

> cha'maH Soch jIH 'ej vighun.
> QIt thlIngan vighojtaH. mu'tlheghHom Daja' 8-).

You were doing great up to this last sentence. It means, "You
tell the little (insignificant) sentence." I think what you
want is something more like:

ngoDvam DaSovlaH mu'tlheghmey mach vIlo'mo'.

"You can know this fact because I use small sentences."

> KLI vimuvta' 'ej South AfricaDaq tera'ngan vitu'ta'.
> tugh numuv.

Looking at your English translation, there's something missing
from the Klingon. That you found another potential member in
South Africa is remarkable. That you found a human in South
Africa is somewhat less remarkable. You need to somehow
indicate the special nature of this human within that sentence,
rather than wait until the next sentence, since as you present
it, it sounds as if South Africa is nearly void of people and
when you found one, he happened to intent to join KLI. Of
course, what you want to say is not especially easy. Try:

... 'ej "South Africa"Daq muvqangbogh latlh vItu'ta'.

> Hoch 'e' jijatlh.

You don't need to use {'e'} with verbs of speaking. Also, if
you have an object of {jatlh}, you can't use {jI-} in front of
it, since this indicates no object. There are several ways to
more clearly say that you have finished speaking:

jIrIn.

jIjatlh 'e' DaH vImev.

jIjatlhta'. And so forth...

> Qapla'

> Well, now that I've murdered the Klingon language,...

Not even close. It survives quite well, despite your efforts.
{{:)>

charghwI'

Back to archive top level