tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 24 05:44:03 1994

Re: Hol translation for KLI

"Klingon Language List" <[email protected]> writes:
\ I can accept tlhIngan Hol yejHaD if Okrand can!
\
\ That leaves me with the problem of expressing "member".  While it *is*
\ traditional to be a "language warrior", I don't see using suvwI' or vaj as
\ being appropriate <g>.  beq also doesn't feel right.  Perhaps HaDwI'?  "One
\ who studies" is a more apt description than ghojwI' (who would argue that
\ Captain Krankor is a mere "learner"?).
That depends on what you mean by "mere".  I don't think there's anything
"mere" about learning, but it depends on what the connotations of "learn" and
"study" are to you (which may not have any bearing on the difference between
the two words in tlhIngan Hol).  If "learner" to you implies, say, one who
memorizes by rote without application of thought, then that obviously doesn't
apply to Krankor or most of the rest of the list.  But in the strict sense
of "one who learns", I suspect that Captain Krankor would himself argue that
he is, indeed, a "mere learner".  I don't think he would be willing to say
that he's learned all there is to learn about tlhIngan Hol . . . even Okrand
has said that he doesn't know it all, so how can anyone else?

But in any case, I could accept "HaDwI'" or "ghojwI'", but they don't quite
carry the meaning of "member" - after all, there are undoubtedly still a few
poor unenlightened souls who are trying to learn Klingon without the benefit of
the KLI.  (The fact that you're a student doesn't imply that you're on the
Student Council. :)) I would suggest "rewbe'" but that carries additional
connotations that are probably inappropriate - I have visions of Dr. Schoen and
Krankor in a group, turning their backs to perform a naDHa'ghach on someone
whose dues have lapsed . . . :)

As I continue to ponder "member", neologisms are starting to form
(ngaSlu'ghach), which is a sure sign that I need to stop thinking about this for
now . . .

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level