tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 22 09:36:20 1994

Hol translation for KLI

 uu> From: KLI Round Table Acct <ur-valhalla!kli.org!klirt>

 > Is there an official KLI approved translation for "Klingon Language
 > Institute"?  Additionally, what word would I use for "member"?

 uu> Well, there is and there isn't.  On the bottom of the KLI stationary
 uu> (and  in a few other places too) it says tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.  We can
 uu> easily  quibble about the legitmacy of "yejHaD" (and people have).  I
 uu> casually  mentioned this to Okrand once and he laughed and suggested
 uu> that surely  the KLI is a very ancient and venerable institution, whose
 uu> name goes back  to an earlier dialect.  A cheap way out, but I'll
 uu> resort to it if I have  to. :)

I can accept tlhIngan Hol yejHaD if Okrand can!

That leaves me with the problem of expressing "member".  While it *is*
traditional to be a "language warrior", I don't see using suvwI' or vaj as
being appropriate <g>.  beq also doesn't feel right.  Perhaps HaDwI'?  "One
who studies" is a more apt description than ghojwI' (who would argue that
Captain Krankor is a mere "learner"?).

Qob

... jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey

Back to archive top level