tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 20 14:37:03 1994

Re: Trying to speak Klingon.. for KLBC

I'm really impressed with the quality of the Klingon message
coming from someone who doesn't have TKD yet. I'd like to
answer in Hol, but 1. I'm pressed for time and 2. as Beginners'
Grammarian, I feel compelled to reply in English so as not to
lose other beginners.

According to Ville Heikkila:

> DaH jIlIH'egh 'ej tlhIngan Hol 'oHvaD vIlo'.

Small point... It would be better form if you placed the direct
object just before the verb. In fact, I think having {'oHvaD}
here is unnecessary and confusing. If you drop it altogether,
this whole sentence makes a lot more sense.

> 17 ben FinlandDaq tera'Daq jIboghpu'.

bIQupqu' 'ej bIpo'law'. (Guido#1, watch out!)

> Star Trek vIparHa'mo' 'ej Holmey law' vIchenmoHmo',
>
> tlhIngan Hol muvuQchoHpu' vISovchoHpu'vIS, 'ej De' vIwamchoHpu'.

{chenmoH} is an odd word choice here. It tends to indicate that
you are MAKING the languages rather than speaking them. Also,
the word order is reversed for {tlhIngan Hol muvuQchoHpu'}. Hol
is the SUBJECT, not the object of the verb. Also, you can't use
{-pu'vIS} because TKD tells us that {-vIS} must be preceeded by
{-taH} and you can have only one Type 7 suffix. Correcting all
of these, you get:

"Star Trek" vIparHa'mo' 'ej Holmey law' vIjatlhmo',
muvuQchoHpu' tlhIngan Hol vISovchoHtaHvIS, 'ej De' vIwamchoHpu'.

> wej The Klingon Dictionary vIghaj 'ach muQaH mu'ghom De'wI'wIjDaq.

We need to watch out for this. Since TKD is copyrighted
material and there is no computer based dictionary put out by
the holders of that copyright, this is exactly the situation we
want to avoid. I'm glad you have gotten materials to help you
learn the language, but you need to get TKD in order to legally
own the word list.

I know I'm probably a little too cautious about this, but on
the other hand, I want TKD to sell enough copies that the
publisher will get off its duff and put out the THIRD edition
with all the stuff in it missing from TKD.

> chaq Holvam vIlolaHchu' jIHeghpa'. vaj jIqeqnIS.

majQa'!

> Qapla'!
>
> Viznut.H.

Welcome.