tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 07 13:06:47 1994

re: Boiling blood

According to [email protected]:

> 'IwlIj jachjaj je 'IwlIj pubbe'
>
>       May your blood scream and not boil.  ;-)
>
> 	(At least thats what I meant to say)

{je} connects nouns, not verbs. To better link the two verbs in
meaning, you might choose to repeat the {-jaj} suffix as well.
Okrand also gives us license to replace the second occurance of
a noun with a pronoun. Add it all up and you get:

'IwlIj jachjaj 'ej 'oH pubbe'jaj

Of course, THAT is using the TRADITIONAL grammatical
construction for a toast. Meanwhile, you are not sticking to
the traditional toast itself. Do'Ha'. Humans have frequently
died for such blunders. If you begin with a traditional toast,
it is best to say the toast exactly the way tradition dictates.
The above line may be essentially correct, but it still sounds
like someone seriously blowing a punch line to a joke. The
toast is {'IwlIj jachjaj.} Best leave it alone unless you are
very large, well armed and armored.

Modern Klingon grammar would probably prefer:

pubbe'jaj 'IwlIj 'ej jachjaj 'oH.

I intentionally put the boiling part first so nobody would
mistake it for a misstated traditional toast. If I say this in
a bar, I'd expect to get a few suspicious glances, then they
would decide that I was harmless and continue drinking. If I
said your earlier example, I would not expect to remain
conscious long enough to register their response...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level