tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 07 10:21:08 1994

Re: Good day to die.

chargwI':

Thank you for your analysis of my attempt at "Today is a good day to die"; I
expected that I would not be any closer than anyone else. I liked your
discussion of the "to be" usage in thlIngan Hol, too. However, I want to ask
some questions about this, to make sure that I am learning how to use
tlhIngan Hol correctly.

1. "A verb expressing a state of quality can be used immediately following a
noun to modify that noun". (TKD 4.4) So, wouldn't "jaj QaQ" mean "good day"?

2. -vam mean "this" and "jaj" is "day (n)". So, wouldn't j"jajvam" mean
"this day"?

3. "... all pronouns (Section 5.1) can be used as verbs ... If the subject
is a noun, it follows the third-person ... and takes the 'e' topic suffix."
(TKD 6.6). So, wouldn't "'oH jajvam'e'" mean "This day is ..."?

4. The previous questions I had asked myself, which is how I got to:

HeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH jajvam'e'.
For the purpose of dying, today is a good day.

I am just way out in left field here?

But wait...

In the process of construction my questions (and, really, am implied
argument), I have seen the following:

HeghmeH QaQ jajvam.
For the purpose of dying, this day is good.

Is this better grammar and closer to the spirit of tlhIngan Hol?

jabbI'ID mev
Thornton

Back to archive top level