tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 10:02:40 1994

Re: Sound Files

>Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 21:57:32 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Ken Kohlstedt)

>I apologize if this question has been asked before.  I checked in at the
>Klingon Language Institute on the WorldWide Net and found an area that,
>I presume, lets me download spoken Klingon letters.  The files all end
>with the extension ".au".  How are these files used?  I have a
>Spectrum16 Proaudio sound board installed but don't know if the
>above files need to be uncompressed first.  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

Well, I put those files there, and they're my voice, so I suppose I'm
responsible to answer.  The .au format is (far and away) the most common
sound format I've seen on the Web, so it seemed the reasonable one for us
(besides, it's the native format for my machine).  They're 8000Hz mono
8-bit u-law sound files with SUN headers, if that means anything to you (it
almost means something to me, but not much).  They're native on SUN
workstations.  Many versions of Mosaic will probably know how to handle
them; if yours doesn't you may have to ask somebody local.  There is a
program called "sox" which is probably available from ftp.uu.net (as well
as other places) which does a good job of converting .au files into various
other formats, but I don't know if it can convert to your needed format
(not what format that is).  Other conversion programs surely exist, though
I don't know ~of any offhand

>			   Thanks, Ken

~mark

Back to archive top level