tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 01:10:52 1994

jabbI'ID wa'DIch

nuqneH
jIlIH'eghmeH, Guido 'oH pongwIj'e'
qaStaHvIS wej DIS tlhIngan Hol vIHaD

Recent developments on the list have inspired my return, much to the dismay
of several people (no names, but trI'Qal, Holtej) (j/k).

Heghlaw'pu' Qanqor. taHjaj Qanqor qa'. lojtaHvIS Qanqor, val Dap qoj quv qoH.
DevwI'na' ghaHpu' Qanqor'e'.

Right now we are probably witnessing Krankor's dream of what the list should
become. There are several skilled people using much Klingon right now,
whereas there hadn't been before. That's perhaps why he left. He got tired of
thousands of posts about nothing except, "I've got a way to say such-and-such
in Klingon..." "Well, maybe you could do that, but you could also make it.."
"Yeah, but I would prefer it if you said it like..." etc etc etc. It gets
nowhere. Why are we lounging around here when we should working hard creating
a formidable collection of Klingon literature and teaching the masses. The
only real extensive Klingon course available right now is Proechel's. Has
anyone really looked at it? Besides being chock full of plain old errors, it
misexplains many fine points of grammar. I was given the job of editing it
and making up an answer key, but didn't have the time. Sigh, there are just
too many people speaking not-good-enough Klingon because we haven't made
sufficient progress in teaching the language and getting more people
genuinely interested in it. Maybe that's what drove Krankor off.

Or maybe he just doesn't have enough time on his hands. Either way, chaos
runs rampant without him. It runs rampant with him too, but we don't care. At
least he was the greatest leader this mailing list could have had, even if he
was no linguist.

Another question that I have is what makes a person interested in learning
Klingon. Why do 99.44% of those who see TKD say something to the effect of,
"Oh, how.. um, interesting," or, "Omygod, a KLINGON dictionary. Why the
heck..."

Perhaps a good thing would be getting people interested in it who are not so
much Trekkies. Every Trekkie would love a TKD, but none of them would ever
learn it, even if they wanted to, unless they had an interest/talent in
languages.

Maybe I'm just off key or off que or maybe I'm just ridiculously out of
touch, but either way, I have an idea. It's very interesting because of
recent developments involving FoxTrot. I came up with the idea for a Klingon
comic strip a few days ago, and even have some preliminary sketches. I used
to draw a comic strip for a local (very local) newspaper, but lost interest.
I haven't cartooned in a while, but I would really enjoy writing a Klingon
comic strip for HolQeD, and maybe Proechel's qIb HeHDaq.

Yes, that's right, Proechel's little publicationqoq, because so many people
are attracted to his ideas for Klingon. He teaches it and offers gimicks and
corny little things, and the KLCamp and the Fair and what-not. He may not be
as skilled in the language as he thinks yet, but many beginner's who want to
learn go to him, because he's willing to teach, and not just throw high-brow
linguistic jargon all over everyone. If we're smart (we are, aren't we) we'll
get under the skin of the ILS and get our hand in his glove to see what we
can stir up. Good will come of this, I promise. And has it occured to anyone
that maybe Glen is broke or about to broke if he paid off the KLCamp debt
himself? If not, I don't understand why he's pleading for donations, other
than he's stingy. No, that's not true. He did the Camp for us, and we didn't
respond wholeheartedly enough. Or perhaps he put his expectations too high in
the outcome. Or whatever.

But this comic strip is imesho a good idea as a down-to-earth teaching tool.
I think I've rambled enough. If you're still reading, you have my humblest
apologies and thanks.

Guido

Back to archive top level