tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 11 07:27:20 1994

Re: My first communication...

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> Impressive start, this.
Thanks!

> According to Johnny Wayne Jr Rittimann:
>
> > belmeH mu'tlheghmeywIj tIghaj.
>
> "Possess my sentences, in order that they be pleased." Is that
> what you meant to say? It inspires an interesting, slave-like
> anthropomophic image of sentences seeking to fulfill their
> function. "Read me! Read me!" [followed by orgasmic moans of
> sentences finding pleasure in being possessed]. Perhaps you
> meant SubelmeH?
>
> charghwI'

Actually what I was trying to say was more like: "Since correct sentences
gives you(all) pleasure (as par the previous sentence), then these sentences
will give you pleasure."  I would have preferred to have said "You will
have fun with these sentences."

However, I kind of like the result that I came up with.  I've always
felt that sentences are our little pleasure slaves.

Also, the other day I was trying to figure how to say thanks or to
express gratitude.  No word for thank-you, no word for appreciate, no word
for owe (as in "I owe you one"), no word for debt (for "I'm in your debt")...
so how about it?  Do Klingons not express gratitude?

This is about all I could come up with:

	choQaHpu' vIparHa''e'    (I like that you helped me)

And one other thing...

How would you say that something _should_ be done?
In the context of someone asking a superior "What should I do?" I suppose
you could say
	nuq vIta' choneH      or
        nuq vIta'niS

But those kind of avoid the real meaning of should...

oh.. I lied...one more thing...someone told me that there is a Klingon
Encyclopedia out which contains EVERY Klingon word, including a being verb.
This book is apparently made for writers (who would be writing Star Trek
episodes and the like).  I've heard it costs about a $100USD.  Any
information on this?

well, this one is full of questions isn't it???

thanks, I really appreciate it.

Back to archive top level