tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 15:26:50 1994

Re: My first communication...

Impressive start, this.

According to Johnny Wayne Jr Rittimann:

> wa'DIch 'oH jabbI'IDvamwIj 'e'.

Note that ordinal numbers are not nouns. They are chuvmey and
grammatically resemble adjectival verbs in useage. They follow
nouns and describe them. Given that, your first sentence might
better be stated:

jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch 'oH jabbI'IDvam'e'.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu vIneH 'ach DaH loQ jIjatlh.

Except for dropping the {'} from {vIjatlhchu'}, this is perfect.

> Holmaj bolugh 'e' boparHa' 'e' jISov.

"I think that you (plural) like that you (plural) correct our
language." Grammatically fine, except that jISov should be
vISov, but you knew that...

> belmeH mu'tlheghmeywIj tIghaj.

"Possess my sentences, in order that they be pleased." Is that
what you meant to say? It inspires an interesting, slave-like
anthropomophic image of sentences seeking to fulfill their
function. "Read me! Read me!" [followed by orgasmic moans of
sentences finding pleasure in being possessed]. Perhaps you
meant SubelmeH?

> also...how does own say something was/is done  badly or poorly...the list of
> adverbials in TKD seems to lack these types of adverbs...did I miss
> another way of doing this?
>
> thanks.

No, you didn't really miss anything that *I* can think of. We
have little guidance here as we try to create anew each time an
effective way of saying this. Several solutions have been
presented and somebody has a problem with each of them.
One popular solution is:

jIjatlhtaHvIS jIqab.

I tend to feel like the implied simultenaety doesn't cover the
causative link intended. I could as easily mean, "While I am
talking, I am bad at playing poker."

jIjatlhmeH jIpo'Ha'.

People look at this and think it means that I intentionally am
being unskilled in order that I speak; toward the goal of my
speaking.

Okay, a new try:

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH jIpo' 'e' vIlujtaH.

I continue to fail that I am expert in order that I speak
Klingon language. Paraphrased, I fail to be an expert at
speaking Klingon.

This solution has not yet been tested by a panel of experts.
Somehow, I suspect it is about to be, however...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level