tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 14 09:10:24 1994

Re: My first communication...

Mark Reed already answered most of this quite well, so I'll
only add a comment or two:

According to Johnny Wayne Jr Rittimann:
> Also, the other day I was trying to figure how to say thanks or to
> express gratitude.  No word for thank-you, no word for appreciate, no word
> for owe (as in "I owe you one"), no word for debt (for "I'm in your debt")...
> so how about it?  Do Klingons not express gratitude?
>
> This is about all I could come up with:
>
> 	choQaHpu' vIparHa''e'    (I like that you helped me)

While qatlho' is better, if you wished to say what you said,
realize that you don't want to use {'e'} as a suffix. That
applies only to nouns. You want to use {'e'} as a special
pronoun - a word unto itself, and it must come between the two
verbs:

choQaHpu' 'e' vIparHa'.

This is the standard format for the Sentence-As-Object
construction.

> How would you say that something _should_ be done?
> In the context of someone asking a superior "What should I do?"

Okrand likes to use {chay' jura'.} It appears in the beginning
of Conversational Klingon and in ST3, just before the worm
scene, both without English translation.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level