tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 11:19:42 1994

Re: Ponder this....

[email protected] writes:
\ Here is an interesting query.
\
\ Suppose you have a multi verb sentence like  "My computer is malfunctioning
\ so to fix it I'll need to travel."
\
\ QapHa' De'wI'wIj vaj tI'lu'meH jIlengnIS.

I don't think that "vaj" can be used as a conjunction in Klingon; and I think
the Klingon casting here would be much better as two sentences.

So we end up with:

QapHa' De'wI'wIj.  tI'lu'meH jIlengnIS.

"My computer is malfunctioning.   In order that someone fixes it, I need to
travel."

(I would probably have translated "In order to fix it" as "In order that I
can fix it: vItI'laHmeH.  But anyway . . . )

Now, onto your question.  First, adverbials do not necessarily go in the
front of the sentence - as stated in the addendum, they go at the beginning
of the object-verb-subject construction.  In a multiple-phrase construct,
they would go at the beginning of the particular object-verb-subject
construction that they're intended to modify.  So:

1) My computer malfunctioned slightly . .

	loQ QapHa'pu' DewI'wIj.  tI'lu'meH jIlengnIS.

2) ...so to fix it a little bit

	QapHa' DewI'wIj.  loQ tI'lu'meH jIlengnIS

3) ...so to fix it I must do a little travelling.

	QapHa' DewI'wIj.  tI'lu'meH loQ jIlengnIS.

In this last case, we really have two adverbs - one adverbial, and one clause
functioning as an adverb.  This is similar to the case of a time referent and
another adverbial, as cited in the addendum - they can't both be at the
beginning, obviously.  With "loQ" at the beginning of the whole thing, I
would interpret it as modifying the modifier (tI'lu'meH); in the latter
position, it can't modify anything else but "jIlengniS".

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level