tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 09:13:31 1994

Hints & Tips.

Well, there seems to be some confusion about exactly how this list works,
so I'll post this in the hopes of clearing some things up.

Let me start by saying that the software the listserver uses -- Listproc --
is designed for handling multiple mailing lists. This means that ANY
request you send to the software (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc) will
ALWAYS have to mention tlhingan-hol (the list name) somewhere, so that
the listserver knows what list you want to work with.

Any messages you send that are administrative in nature (like subscribing,
changing your mail mode, unsubscribing) will be sent to the software at
[email protected]. Messages for the actual list (that you want everyone
else to see) go to [email protected]. All requests must be sent in
the BODY of the message, NOT the subject.

The listsserver also takes a 'help' request to find out about all the
different commands you can send.

Some handy commands you can send to [email protected]:

subscribe tlhIngan-Hol Your Name Here		- Subscribe to tlhIngan-Hol
unsubscribe tlhIngan-Hol			- Unsubscribe from tlhInang-Hol

Some people want to set the list to work in 'digest' mode, so that they
get collections of messages periodically, instead of getting the list
one message at a time. To do this, you can use the command:

set tlhIngan-Hol mail digest

Some people go away for a week or two, and want to turn off mail from
the list without unsubscribing. To do this, you can set the list in
'postpone' mode, which will keep messages from being delivered to you. The
command to send [email protected] for that is:

set tlhIngan-Hol mail postpone

To get back to normal from either of the above, you have to set your mail
mode to ACK (acknowledge mode -- It means you'll get copies of your own
posts to the lists. If you don't want to see your own posts, set your list
mode to NOACK). The command for that is:

set tlhIngan-Hol mail ack

The listserver also has an online archive of files. I don't have the old
tlhIngan-Hol digests set up yet, but there are a couple of files there and
will be more in the future. To get a list of what is available in the
tlhIngan-Hol archive, use the "index" command:

index tlhIngan-Hol

To actually get a file (For example, the 'Welcome' file), use the 'get'
command, which will cause the specified file to be emailed to you:

get tlhIngan-Hol Welcome

Closing notes: Note that Eli ([email protected]) is still the
"Owner" of the list, and should be talked to about ANY problems except
problems with the actual listserver software. I.e. If you have a problem
unsubscribing, talk to me ([email protected]). If you have a problem
with messages that you think are off topic, or something simular, talk to
Eli.

I hope this clears up some confusion. There's a LOT of neat stuff that can
be done with this listserver software, and I'll be putting more of it online
in the future. Stay tuned!

									-WW

Back to archive top level