tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 11 10:24:14 1994

Re: tam poHvo'

According to Peter Garza:

> ghay' cha', nI' DuSaQ poHvam

nuqjatlh? Ummm. {ghay'cha'} is one word, and the following
sentence has two main verbs that don't relate to each other. As
close as I can make out, it says, "This time cries you," and
then the verb "be long" is tagged on the beginning for no
grammatical reason I can decypher. I also don't understand
"cry" being used as that particular style of transitive verb.
It doesn't say, "This time cries, 'you.'" The person "you" is
the object of the verb "cry". I don't get it.

I'm not acting as grammarian here. I'm just confused. What were
you trying to say?

> DuSaQ Doch neH jIvumlaH 'ach Monday Qav pom munuD ghojmoHwI'wI' (that
> probably came out strange, but I couldn't find "take a final")

Yep. Mighty strange. "Only the thing cries you. I can work, but
last Monday my teacher examined me." The word "dysentery" was
kind of shoved in the middle of all that and it seems like you
intended what I interpret to be two separate sentences to
somehow be one. mumISmoHbej mu'meylIj.

> chaq ghoS Hoghvammey jItlhabmoH

You might want to check on the suffix classes of {-mey} and
{-vam}, and again, you seem to have two sentences packed
together with no interdependencies or other grammatical reasons
to have two sentences together. Here, the first sentence means
"Perhaps these weeks proceed." The second sentence is a bit
more confusing, since I've never seen the prefix {jI-} and the
suffix {-moH} on the same verb at the same time. The suffix
changes the intransitive "be free" into the transitive "cause
(someone/something) to be free." Meanwhile, the prefix
indicates that there is no object. There's a grammatical gap
there. I got lost on the curve.

> Sayu' vIneH...

"I want to ask y'all..."

> Do'Ha' tera'ngan Hol vIlo'neS

"Unfortunately, your honor, I use terran language."

> Can Klingon's see color as well as humans?

I've heard that at least one of the novels posits that Klingons
can see color into what humans call ultraviolet (and can't
see), but Okrand didn't give us any words for those colors.
Basically, until someone writes something more like an
encyclopedia than a dictionary, this kind of question will
probably not get a very solid answer.

charghwI'

> Peter Garza
> [email protected]