tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 11 11:51:49 1994

Re: tam poHvo'

Okay, it's been a while...

> According to Peter Garza:
> >

> > ghay' cha', nI' DuSaQ poHvam
>
> nuqjatlh? Ummm. {ghay'cha'} is one word, and the following
> sentence has two main verbs that don't relate to each other. As
> close as I can make out, it says, "This time cries you," and
> then the verb "be long" is tagged on the beginning for no
> grammatical reason I can decypher. I also don't understand
> "cry" being used as that particular style of transitive verb.
> It doesn't say, "This time cries, 'you.'" The person "you" is
> the object of the verb "cry". I don't get it.

Although, DuSaQ does mean "it cries you," it also means "school."  What
I meant was, "This period of school time is (has been) long."  It's been
long and busy semester.

> > DuSaQ Doch neH jIvumlaH 'ach Monday Qav pom munuD ghojmoHwI'wI' (that
> > probably came out strange, but I couldn't find "take a final")
>
> Yep. Mighty strange. "Only the thing cries you. I can work, but
> last Monday my teacher examined me." The word "dysentery" was
> kind of shoved in the middle of all that and it seems like you
> intended what I interpret to be two separate sentences to
> somehow be one. mumISmoHbej mu'meylIj.

Again, DuSaQ in this case means school.  "I can only do school things,
but Monday my teacher(s) will examine me for the last time (Qav pom)."
I have my final final exam on Monday.

> > chaq ghoS Hoghvammey jItlhabmoH
>
> You might want to check on the suffix classes of {-mey} and
> {-vam}, and again, you seem to have two sentences packed
> together with no interdependencies or other grammatical reasons
> to have two sentences together. Here, the first sentence means
> "Perhaps these weeks proceed." The second sentence is a bit
> more confusing, since I've never seen the prefix {jI-} and the
> suffix {-moH} on the same verb at the same time. The suffix
> changes the intransitive "be free" into the transitive "cause
> (someone/something) to be free." Meanwhile, the prefix
> indicates that there is no object. There's a grammatical gap
> there. I got lost on the curve.

Yeah, I switched the "-mey" and "-vam."   I fingured "ghoS Hoghmeyvam" as
"the coming weeks," using "ghoS" as sort of an adjective.  the second part
should have been "jItlhabchoH," or "I will become free."  In total, this
was supposed to mean, "Perhaps in the coming weeks I will be free."

It seems that some of the confusion in this message was generated from the
lack of a "temporal locative" for lack of a better term.  Just how does
one say, "on Monday," "in the coming weeks," etc.  "-Daq," according to
examples in the book, is only used with physical locations.  So how does
one say, "at such and such a time?"

> > Do'Ha' tera'ngan Hol vIlo'neS
>
> "Unfortunately, your honor, I use terran language."

That should have been "vIlo'nIS."  I need to use terran.

> charghwI'
>
> > Peter Garza
> > [email protected]

Peter Garza