tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 11 09:40:11 1994

Re: CK errata?

According to Al Goodniss:

> => ...I've just purchased both CK and
> => PK, and I've noticed some glaring errors (such as Okrand saying "2100" for
> => "1200" in the time section).  I'm sure others have found and pointed these
> => out already, but if there was a list posted, I missed it.  Is there such
> => a list available?
>
> 	nuqneH
>
> 		Welcome to the growing number of people who ask this question,
> and probably get burnt by it.  I asked this exact same question when I started
> on the list,  and was burnt.  Basically I was told I was lazy and that I should
> go listen to the tape and do it myself...
>
> 	Qapla'
> 	 -qor

	Gee. Sorry. I don't think I participated in putting it
quite that way, though I do remember suggesting that it was
quite educational to try it out for yourself. while I do not
have a ready list of errors, you might want to check out HolQeD
vol 2 no 1, Krankor's article entitled Qaghmey. The only
exception I have to that article is that he said that Cathie
Sherriff's scene as Valkris in ST3 was shot before Dr. Okrand
arrived on the set to coach the actors. In truth, it was shot
in English, then redubbed in Klingon, very much coached by Dr.
Okrand. The challenge was to both make the lines sound remotely
like Klingon, yet match English lip movements. If you doubt me,
buy or rent the tape, turn off the sound and watch the lip
movements and notice how neatly they match the subtitles.
Okrand told this anecdote at Stellarcon 17.

I'll summarize in a way that makes the errors easy to locate,
but does not offer you an answer without having to think a
LITTLE bit. Of CK, Krankor points out that in the second
repetition of 8 beautiful foreheads, Okrand massively
mispronounces the numeral.

In "Eat the pipius claw", he gives the wrong verbal prefix.

Krankor points out that in the word pair for "good" and "bad"
the word chosen for "good" is not a good antonym for the word
for "bad" because one is a verb while the other is an
interjection. There is a logistical reason it was chosen, but
there is a better word for "good".

Krankor pointed out that the toast, "May your blood scream!"
violated the grammatical rules of word order in TKD. Okrand
later fired back, in PK, an inside joke about how you must say
the toasts EXACTLY LIKE HE TELLS YOU TO, apparently making up
NEW rules for word order, specially for toasts. Krankor
explores this in HolQeD vol. 2 no. 4, in From The Grammarian's
Desk.

The line "Klingon warriors are butting heads," seems very
confused and is probably not a great line to lose a lot of time
decyphering. Face it. If Krankor can't figure it out, you
probably won't, either.

"What is your number, terran?" is also quite possibly in error.

Hmm. I quote from Krankor's article: "The first three are from
the language tape, the third is from ST5:" Gee, I guess maybe
even our great captain is capable of a boo boo here and there...

"Use your hands!" has the wrong verbal prefix, as does "Always
trust your instincts."

Less certainly, but most likely, the verbal prefixes are also
wrong for "Klingons never destroy good food," and "They don't
serve romulan ale to terrans."

I hope this both helps you, still gives you a little mental
exercise that may assist in your learning better Klingon, and
sufficiently avoids violation of copyright, while fully
crediting Krankor for exposing these errors. If nothing else, I
also hope it effectively advertises HolQeD. If you wish to
speak Klingon you really must subscribe...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level