tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 14 05:29:58 1994

Re: KLBC: nuqDaq vIyIn?

*Beginner*

My apologies for taking so long with some of these translations.  I
experienced some network problems while visiting in Alabama.  I am back home
now, and should not have any more difficulties.  As a result, some of what I
may mention in my replies to your posts as I catch up today and tomorrow may
have already been touched upon.  I apologize for this.

marnenvo':

><New York>Daq jIyIntaH.
>naDev peD 'ej SIS.
>DaHjaj ram SISghach taDchoH.
>DaHjaj ram 'o'wIjDaq wejlogh jIpumpu', jIyIttaHvIS.
>ghorDaq chuch vImuS.
>'ach peDghach vImuSHa'.
>peDlu'DI' jI<ski> 'ej jIyItbe'.
>jI<ski> 'e' vImuSHa'qu'.
>
>DaH yap vIghItlhpu'.
>chaq DaH jIQongchoH.
>
>Qapla' QIchqemwI'vo'.

chuch vImuSqu' je.
"New York" chuch law' law' naDev chuch law' puS 'e' vIQub.
  (There is  hint on this in my notes  --tQ)
bIQDaq jI"ski", 'ach not bIQDaq jI"ski".
'e' vInIDnIS'a'?

This was a very nice response to my initial question!  I liked that you used
<ghor> for "ground."  Very nice!  The use of -ghach has been highly questioned
on th list as far as it's use on bare verb stems, but I am not going to say
that your use of it here is wrong (mainly because it IS a debated topic).
There was one error in all of this.  You used <yap> as a noun or an adjective
(I'm not an English majour, so I couldn't tell you).  I would recommend a
slight re-wording:  DaH yap ghItlhwIj  "Now my manuscript is enough."  This is
cause some confusion, so other re-wordings might be a bit better:  DaH yap
mu'meywIj "Now my words are enough." or perhaps even DaH ghItlhwIj vIta'ta'
"Now I have accomplished my manuscript".

Hint on my second line:  Look at it as the law'/puS comparative construction.
I know it was a very confusing sentence!

Translation:

I also hate ice!
I think that New York gets more ice than here.
I ski on water, but not on land.
Should I try it?

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level