tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 11 18:07:51 1994

Re: KBLC: jIbeplaw

>I think the thing which helped me the most was the month that Krankor
>decided that  there was to much English being used on the list, and he
>posted EVERYTHING he did in tlhIngan Hol.  This included all the
>corrections/comments about me attempted posts.  While I was not really all
>that thrilled about wading through his correctons, I was stubborn enough to
>do it.  This helped me become more familier with the grammer and the words.

>It is because of this experience that I DO NOT LIKE the posting of the
>translation with the tlhIngan Hol.  I know that given the chance, I'll
>either be lazy and not even try, or I'll cheat to make my attempted
>translation match the given one regardless of who is correct.  I realize
>that not everyone will fall into this trap, but I think some of us will.

Not having a translation available does help the learning process, but I
think that would only work for someone like Krankor, who knows how to express
himself well in tlhIngan Hol. For beginners, however, who are apt to make
enough errors in their text that it might not be understood correctly,
translations are more necessary. Maybe not necessarily in the same post, but
just available somewhere. In this way, if they have a passage that no one
seems to understand, one could look up the translation and the
Beginner'sGrammarian would be able to explain to them how to express their
desired meaning better.

It would save bandwidth, because the readers of the KLBC wouldn't have to
ask, "I can't make sense of this where you said..." Instead they could say,
"Ok, I know what you meant here [because of the translation] but I think it
would be better expressed like this:..."

If a beginner wants to learn anything at all, he/she/it shouldn't look at the
translation. The urge to cheat can't be THAT overwhelming, especially if one
has a motivation to really learn the language. It should be the
Beginner'sGrammarian's responsibility to read thru the tlhIngan Hol version,
mark whatever he/she/it can't decipher from the Klingon, then look what the
Beginner wanted to say in the translation, and explain how to better express
such a concept.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level