tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 11 05:49:04 1994

Re: KBLC- jIbeplaw

To the beginners:

     Recent posts have proven very confusing to me because of lack of
attention to the difference between {bI-} and {Da-} or {jI-} and {vI-}. It is
important to get this right ESPECIALLY if you are trying to build complex
sentences. Please do not put a lot of effort on building complex sentences if
you don't have verbal prefixes down yet. It gives me a headache. I seem to be
unable to stop myself from trying to translate what you are saying ANYWAY,
and when the prefixes are wrong, I return to my old habit of pounding my
forehead into my desktop. Sometimes I hit the keyboard; an expensive error.

     Once more, examples of each prefix:

     I read = {jIlaD}
     I read your post = {jabbI'IDlIj vIlaD}
     Your post confuses me = {mumISmoH jabbI'IDlIj}
     I hit you = {qaqIp}
     you hurt = {bI'oy'}
     you regret your post = {jabbI'IDlIj Dapay}

     No, this is a joke and I can't keep it up. I value your posts and even
jokingly, I do not wish to discourage anyone. I head for a better example. I
go from singular, then plural for first through third person objects and
subjects:

jIlegh
jIlegh'egh
qalegh
vIlegh
There is no way to say, "I see us." (like identifying your group in a picture
or on a map).
Salegh
vIlegh

bIlegh
cholegh
bIlegh'egh
Dalegh
julegh
There is no way to say, "You (singular) see you (plural)"
Dalegh

yIlegh
HIlegh
yIlegh'egh
yIlegh
gholegh
There is no way to order someone (singular): "See you (plural)!"
tIlegh

legh
mulegh
Dulegh
legh [or] legh'egh [or] leghchuq
nulegh
lIlegh
legh

malegh
There is no way to say, "We see me."
pIlegh
wIlegh
malegh'egh [or] maleghchuq
relegh
DIlegh

Sulegh
tulegh
There is no way to say, "You (plural) see you (singular)."
bolegh
chelegh
Sulegh'egh [or] Sulegh'chuq
bolegh

pelegh
HIlegh
There is no way to order a group to see a singular you.
yIlegh
gholegh
pelegh'egh [or] peleghchuq
tIlegh

legh
mulegh
nIlegh
lulegh
nulegh
lIlegh
legh [or] legh'egh [or] leghchuq

     Whew! Surely, I made mistakes and someone will jump on me for it. For
what it is worth, this is a great exercise, no matter WHAT your level of
expertise. When you can do it without TKD, you have achieved a right of
passage...

     For those groaning about all that memorization, recognize that this is
massively less memorization than for languages with irregular declintions
(declinsions?).

charghwI'

Back to archive top level