tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 10 07:18:52 1994

Re: Qaghqoq

>>From: mark <[email protected]>
>>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 10:33:21 EST
>
>>2. ngeHbej be'ta' : Queen of Outer Space.  (be'ta' from be'
>>'female' + ta' 'emperor')
>
>I was thinking about this one once, regarding Esther, probably.  I think I
>like "ta'be'" better (despite the homophony with "doesn't accomplish").  It
>matches "puqbe'" from "puq"+"be'", and also allows for possibly convenient
>ambiguity between "female emperor" and "emperor's woman/wife"  (the latter
>would probably be better as "ta' be'nal").  On the other hand, I'm also not
>convinced that "ta'" has to be male anyway, maybe it would be accurate to
>call a queen "ta'" also, like a woman can be a HoD or a la'.  But that's a
>cultural aspect of Klingonia that I'm really not qualified to answer.
>
>>- marqem
>
>~mark

This last has always been my take.  I hit this early in my Klingon
career when I wanted to translate the ship class "Queen of Battle".
I did it as may' ta'.  It seems pretty clear to me, from the way the
rest of the language seldom cares about gender, that there need not
be separate thing for queen or empress.  Again, just an opinion.

            --Krankor

Back to archive top level