tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 08 20:44:51 1994

Phone message

maj, Amy!

> rI'lIj wIjanglaHbe' - We are unable to answer your hail.

Maybe wIlajlaHbe' (laj 'accept', because this message is an
answer of sorts).

> chuSdaq ponglIj rI'Se'lIj je junobchugh, vaj pIrI' - If you
> give us your name and hailing frequency at the sound, we will
> hail you.

I'd rather see juta'chugh than junobchugh.  English "give" is
being extended metaphorically here in a way I'm uncomfortable
with applying to nob, especially since its paired noun nob means
'gift'.  You're not asking them to transfer their name and
number/hailing frequency to you!

- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level