tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 08 13:37:05 1994

Phone message

On Tue  8 Mar 94 03:21, Mark E. Shoulson writes:

>>tlhIngan veSDuj bortaS DaSIchpu' - You have reached the Klingon
>>warship Bortas.

> Maybe DaQum?

>>rI'lIj wIjanglaHbe' - We are unable to answer your hail.

> Um, I don't have "rI'" as a noun.  Are we accepting implicit
> nomilalizations?  I'm still fuzzy on it.

I figured that if there were a noun for "hail", then it would be
{rI'}.  Hopefully, putting a noun suffix on a root verb is enough
to indicate nominalization without having to first put on a -ghach,
which (according to some interpretations) is for verbs that end in a
verb suffix.  I don't know if this is acceptable standard procedure
though because I've seen a lot of root verbs + -ghach.

>>chuSdaq ponglIj rI'Se'lIj je junobchugh, vaj pIrI' - If you give us
>>your name and hailing frequency at the sound, we will hail you.

> "chuS" is also a verb.  I'm also not sure about "-Daq" here; our
> evidence points to "-Daq" as being spatial, not temporal.  Maybe
> "ghum DaQoyDI'..."?

You're right about the -Daq.. I would have said {DaQoyDI'} myself
if I were just writing it now.. but this was written some time
ago.  I guess "ghum" is OK, but a simple noun for "sound" would
be nice.

Amy

[email protected]

Back to archive top level