tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 04 03:28:00 1994

Re: Including Translations

        Reply to:   RE>>Including Translations
jatlh Qanqor:

> Another possibility that deserves consideration would be for the
> poster to have the English translation on hand but not post it.
> Those desiring to see it could send private mail and request it--
> presumably after they have taken some time to work through it on
> their own.  It seems to me that this serves the dual goal of keeping
> list traffic down and making people think a little before giving
> them the answer.  {{:-)  I'll admit that it makes a little more work
> for the poster, but we also might gain some stats on how many people
> really *want* the translation.  If posters find they are simply
> deluged with requests for the translation, we could change the
> strategy.  Thoughts?

My thought?  (I'm glad you asked).  Good idea, but it makes more sense
in many ways just to put a couple lines of "spoiler" space and add the
translation below that.  This will accomplish a number of things 1) the
learner will be able to see the translation if necessary, 2) the
BG will be able to tell what the writer was attempting to say, 3)
the writer will not have to have a copy of the translation hanging
around ready for the deludge of people who want translations.

It just makes more sense to add the translation at the bottom of the
message.

This message was brought to you by the letters "I","M","H" and "O"...

-majIq

Back to archive top level