tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 03 09:50:39 1994

Re: vIH

According to this patternqoq of determining which words can be used
adjectivally in Hol by whether TKD lists their English meaning with an
English adjective, then we should consider {HeghmoH} as properly adjectival
in Hol because its English translation is "be fatal."

Of course, I'm being sarcastic just to prove a point. We have to rely on
common sense. Remember TKD is not intended to be an exhaustive description of
tlhIngan grammar, so "a good many of the fine points are not covered." Okrand
must have realized at the time what some of these 'fine points' were,
otherwise how could he have mentioned them. As TKD is admittedly sketchy,
Okrand possibly thought it rather inappropriate to go into depth about the
adjectivals, and left it at saying generally that Klingon adjectival verbs
and English adjectives correspond to some extent. If indeed words like {wuQ}
could be used adjectivally, then how would TKD explain this. The evidence is
insufficient to make thorough conclusions, and would only confuse people
using TKD who might not readily understand such vague concepts anyways.

{meQ} is an adjectival. We have canonical evidence for it; there's no way
around it. Similarly, {pegh} is an adjectival. We don't know if {wuQ} is an
adjectival. All we can be sure of is that adjectivals follow a somewhat loose
pattern, and are idiosyncratic to the native speakers of Hol. Until this
pattern is better understood, we should just stick to what we know from the
canon, and use our good judgment when it comes to other verbs not yet found
anywhere in canon.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level